Toronto Music - Mastodon
Mastodon is a free, open-source social network. A decentralized alternative to commercial platforms, it avoids the risks of a single company monopolizing your communication. Pick a server that you trust — whichever you choose, you can interact with everyone else. Anyone can run their own Mastodon instance and participate in the social network seamlessly.
What sets Mastodon apart
Timelines are chronological
500 characters per post
GIFV sets and short videos
Granular, per-post privacy settings
Rich block and muting tools
Ethical design: no ads, no tracking
Open API for apps and services
What is torontomusic.cloud?
A social network for Toronto music folks: artists, bands, presenters, independent media, concertgoers, collaborators, DJs, producers, music sharers, venues, indie record labels, and whoever else wants to join. There are no ads, and no algorithms. All your followers will see your posts here, and you won't miss any posts by your favourite people.
Mastodon is a new open-source Twitter alternative that's beginning to get popular in Japan and France. It's a bit basic compared with established social networks, but it's brand-new. There's a community of volunteer developers working on it and it's getting better every day.
For now, torontomusic.cloud will use the policies of the main English-language Mastodon network, mastodon.social. In the future these will be determined by the users of torontomusic.cloud, but many of them seem unlikely to change.
The following types of content will be removed from the public timeline, and may result in account suspension and revocation of access to the service:
- Racism or advocation of racism
- Sexism or advocation of sexism
- Discrimination against gender and sexual minorities, or advocation thereof
- Xenophobic and/or violent nationalism
The following types of content are explicitly disallowed and will result in revocation of access to the service:
- Sexual depictions of children
- Content illegal in Germany and/or France, such as holocaust denial or Nazi symbolism
- Conduct promoting the ideology of National Socialism
The following types of content will be removed from the public timeline:
- Excessive promotion (promotion is great and encouraged! we're talking
about extreme, spammy promotion here)
- Untagged pornography and sexually explicit content
- Untagged gore and extremely graphic violence
Any conduct intended to stalk or harass other users, or to impede other users from utilizing the service, or to degrade the performance of the service, or to harass other users, or to incite other users to perform any of the aforementioned actions, is also disallowed, and subject to punishment up to and including revocation of access to the service. This includes, but is not limited to, the following behaviors:
- Continuing to engage in conversation with a user that has specifically has requested for said engagement with that user to cease and desist may be considered harassment, regardless of platform-specific privacy tools employed.
- Aggregating, posting, and/or disseminating a person's demographic, personal, or private data without express permission (informally called doxing or dropping dox) may be considered harassment.
- Inciting users to engage another user in continued interaction or discussion after a user has requested for said engagement with that user to cease and desist (informally called brigading or dogpiling) may be considered harassment.